The Worthington Christian High School Chapter of the National Honor Society® is committed to supporting the high ideals of NHS at WCHS, and will gladly welcome into its membership any and all WCHS students who exemplify these ideals.
A student must have a 3.75 cumulative GPA to qualify. He or she must also have shown that she/he is a person of leadership and character. Members of National Honor Society excel in the areas of scholarship, character, leadership, and service.
In the spring of each academic year, qualified Juniors and Seniors are considered for membership of NHS. How can a student know if they will make a good candidate? Consider the following:
- Membership in National Honor Society is NOT based merely on academic attainment. If the student’s life is making a positive impact both inside and outside of the WCHS community, they are probably a candidate for NHS.
- If the student focuses activities only on school and not also on church and community, then they are probably not a candidate for NHS.
- If the student focuses energies on church and community, but not on school, then they are probably not a candidate for NHS.
- Is the student known for pointing out problems and being proactive in bringing about solutions? If so, they are probably a candidate for NHS.
- Is the student known for pointing out problems and dwelling on them or complaining about them, but not moving to make a difference? Then they are probably not a candidate for NHS.
- Do those who know the student speak well of him/her regarding work habits, service and character? If so, they are probably a candidate for NHS.
- Is the student the kind of person whose parents and teachers know as one person but that his/her friends know as someone else? If so, they are probably not a candidate for NHS.
Students are evaluated based on the following:
- Has the student’s high school career been marked by character, leadership, and service? A student activity and information form will provide the basis for this evaluation.
- Do peers and those in authority recognize a student’s character, leadership, and service? Evaluations filled out by a pastor or ministry supervisor, and/or employer/supervisor will provide the basis for this assessment.
- Has the student left a positive impression with those who have been his/her teachers over the last four years? A list of candidates will be circulated among administrators, current members of NHS and teachers, asking if they would consider each student to be a fitting candidate for National Honor Society.