BUILDING COMMUNITY THROUGH COMMUNICATION AND CONNECTION
WC provides a host of ways to stay in-the-know and get involved
One of Worthington Christian School’s great aspirations is to provide a community in which the necessary relationships for learning – those marked by love, nurture, care, and appropriate authority – are offered to students and their families. This type of community is vital to WC fulfilling its mission to develop the mind of Christ in our students. The connectedness of WC teachers, students, and families is one of the primary characteristics that makes the school what it is. The more we are unified in community, the more we flourish within our families and within our school.
Whether you are new to WC or have been here for years, we want to make sure that this is a year that you feel a part of this loving, caring school community. Practically speaking, there are many, many ways this can happen. The following are ways to stay in the know about what’s happening, as well as ways to become involved.
Communications and Community
A key component of any community is clear, consistent communication. And WC takes communications very seriously: daily social media posts, a weekly newsletter, a weekly blog for parents and a bimonthly podcast for parents, an app, an online calendar for planned events, text alerts for unplanned events, and more. Important information, announcements, and upcoming events are accessible in a host of ways on a wide variety of platforms. The following are a snapshot of these platforms:
- FACTS | FACTS is your school connection and is used by teachers for academic purposes. Check assignments, grades, make tuition or lunch money payments, and more.
- Social media | WC maintains multiple Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn accounts, providing daily posts on what’s happening at school. [There is also a private Facebook group for all WC parents.]
- Text Alerts | Reserved for emergency purposes, WC text alerts are easy to subscribe to. Simple text the word SUBSCRIBE to 614-505-4554.
- ThisWeekWC | ThisWeekWC is a weekly e-newsletter that comes out on Wednesday afternoons with pertinent announcements and things to know.
- WC App | Available at the App Store (iOS) or Google Play (Android), WC’s app is a sort of one stop shop for accessing announcements, calendars, the latest stories, and more.
- WC Calendars | Accessible from the school’s website and app, the WC Calendar is customizable and versatile. There is an All-School Calendar, and a separate Athletics Calendar.
- WC Website | Check the school website often to stay informed, especially the campus-specific announcements page for your child.
- Blog for Parents | Age-specific, education and parenting-related articles are published on a weekly basis.
- Podcast for Parents | Education and parenting-related episodes are published bimonthly.
- WC Photo Gallery | WC parents can upload, view, download, and even purchase pictures of school events on WC’s Photo Gallery hosted by Smugmug. Learn more here.
For more detailed descriptions of each of these platforms, make sure to check on WC’s School Communications page.
Connection and Community
In addition to knowing everything that’s happening at WC, it’s so important to participate–to get connected through being present and interacting with others in the community. While it can be a challenge to find time for this element of community, volunteering and getting connected make for a truly robust, rich WC experience well-worth the effort. The following are a few opportunities for parents to find that connection.
WC’s DadLab is a father-focused initiative for dads of students in grades Kindergarten through six. Dads are connected in small groups that meet together regularly to encourage each other as followers of Christ, husbands, and fathers.
Warrior Prayer is a school-wide prayer initiative that aims to cover the school in prayer on a daily basis. Participants sign up to pray one day per month, and are provided with a campus-specific prayer guide.
Started by WC parents, for WC parents, WC Connect provides space for parents to meet and get to know each other at school-wide events.
There are many other volunteer opportunities and ways to get plugged in, including:
- Parent-Teacher Fellowship | The Parent-Teacher Fellowship exists to engage the WC community by facilitating fellowship, encouraging faculty and staff, and serving one another. Talking with a PTF representative is an excellent way to determine how best to match your gifts and availability to school needs and opportunities.
- Food Services | Each year, volunteers are needed to assist with Lower School and Upper School lunch times. Volunteers typically serve once per week or once every two weeks.
If you have a particular area of interest for volunteering or getting involved, feel free to reach out to your child’s campus office. In order to provide the safest environment possible for its students, WC requires a background check using a social security number for anyone who volunteers on campus. Anyone interested in volunteering may find the background check form here.