MENTAL HEALTH MONDAY: TAKING INVENTORY
He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” —Revelation 21:5
January. It’s a new year, time to straighten up the places that have gotten “messy” and set goals and plans for the year ahead. It is time to take inventory! I looked up the definition and purpose of inventory: “The main function of inventory is to provide operations with an ongoing supply of materials. To achieve this function effectively, your business should strive to find a sweet spot between too much and too little, without ever running out of stock.”
Let’s apply the definition of ‘inventory’ to our goals:
“The main function or purpose of inventory is to provide operations with an ongoing supply of materials.” What materials do you need as you begin this new year to help keep the day-to-day operations moving forward? Here are a few suggestions:
- Begin each day with the LORD. The You Version Bible app has a daily scripture with a short video – a great place to start!
- Get a planner or a calendar – paper and electronic. Fill out the big events and sit down as a family and make plans for the month ahead.
- Assess your habits: nutrition, exercise, sleep, budget, lifestyle
“To achieve this effectively, strive to find the sweet spot between too much and too little”
- Pray and give your day to Him – let Him work through you! Pray as you get ready and give your concerns and stress of the day to Him. We tend to carry around heavy loads and try to solve issues on our own which weighs us down. Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you. 1 Peter 5:7
- Review your days and weeks. Take time to see where you are spending a bulk of your time and make adjustments as necessary. Find the “too much” and adjust and make a list of where you want to add a little more. Find balance and begin to make the first steps to some changes.
Make sure you do not run out of stock. What is stock?
- Encouragement: find someone to encourage and find those who encourage you
- Community: Connect at your church. New to the area or need a change? Let me know I can help!
- Quality time with family and friends
- Quiet time alone
God says in His Word that He makes all things new. He will join us each day as we adjust. It is easier to take one thing at a time so we do not get overwhelmed. If you find you need support at this time and cannot figure out where to start, I would love to help, listen and guide. Taking inventory is a healthy practice and an exciting time to make things new!
Speak confidentially with Nancy Secrest, licensed counselor, by contacting her at 614-410-4306 or sending her an email.